MANDATORY EQUIPMENT LIST
ADVENTURE RACING WORLD SERIES MANDATORY EQUIPMENT LIST
Version 1.2 dated 23 November 2017.
The AR World Series members using this list have collectively agreed on standard mandatory equipments, and definitions of this equipment, that individuals and teams must carry while participating in an AR World Series adventure race. They have also agreed on the rational and logic for the inclusion of items on this list. Additional items may be added by race organisers where they are specific to their location, conditions or laws of the host country.
PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY AND ASSUMPTIONS - You and your team together are responsible entirely for carrying suitable and appropriate equipment, clothing and sustenance for the climate, conditions and activities in the event. This Mandatory Equipment List is NOT a list of the only items you should take. It contains the mandatory items that you and your team must carry with you, at specified times, to meet minimum safety requirements by law, prevent and/or treat SOME potential injuries, and short term survival purposes (for example a seriously injured team member, in a stationary position, overnight in bad weather). It assumes your team members will NOT separate during the race and that you may share between members the mandatory equipment that must be carried. You will certainly need additional equipment, clothing, food and drink for your participation in the event.
RECOMMENDED AND INFERRED ITEMS
The following items, categories of equipment or related items, are either strongly recommended by organisers, or assumed to be an inferred requirement as competitors must have an understanding of adventure racing, the activities they will be participating in, and general outdoor adventure knowledge and experience.
‣ Backpacks and water carrying containers/ bladders/ bottles.
‣ Foods and sustenance, sufficient until the next re-supply, including quantity for unexpected circumstances.
‣ Personal race clothing and footwear suitable for extreme conditions (including accessories such as hats/
gloves, eye protection, watch/altimeter as required and clothing for water activities such as wetsuits).
‣ Cycle repair kit (including pump, tubes, tools and spare parts).
‣ Waterproofing/ dry bags to keep personal and team equipment as dry as necessary.
‣ Water purification device or chemicals - to avoid illness from drinking contaminated water.
‣ Personal medications (not in contravention of anti-doping rules) permitted analgesics, therapeutic
medicines, medical insurance certificates, allergy or illness identification tags, sun protection creams.
‣ Money/ Credit card, personal identification card/ Passport, immigration or visa certificates.
‣ Additional and back up Mandatory/ Recommended and Inferred items in re-supply boxes as permitted.
RULES - As a competitor in the AR World Series event using this list, you and your team are required to carry the mandatory equipment items with you at the specified times. Checks of mandatory equipment may occur during the race and missing equipment may result in penalties or disqualification as per the race rules. If any items are used/ consumed/lost during a leg, they must be replaced at the next transition point.
The mandatory equipment is divided into two categories, equipment you and your team must carry at ALL times, and equipment you and your team must carry during a specific DISCIPLINE.
PROHIBITED ITEMS - Prohibited items are outlined in the ARWS Rules of Competition https:// arworldseries.com/resources/ There are specific rules on items containing GPS, communications/ internet capabilities and items that could potentially assist with navigation.